I intend to walk every street in Birmingham. This will include every road (excluding Motorways and similar), canal towpath, public footpath and bridleway.

14 June 2016

Grid Lock

Birmingham (and much of the rest of the country) had had a lot of rain today, so much so that a number of roads around the city became impassable. Come 'rush-hour' the city ground to a standstill.

I had planned on a short walk into the city centre form work from where I would catch a bus home. With reports of road closed, I decided to walk towards home and catch the omnibus away from the centre.


Less than a mile into my walk, and having strolled past queues of frustrated drivers, I spotted a police car blocking a road hoping to ease the congestion. I'm not quite sure what he was hoping to achieve where he was parked !


I passed a customised hearse on Dudderston Mill Road where because of the pedestrian pace of the traffic (or even slower than THIS pedestrian) I had plenty of time to grab a photo.

Approaching Saltley, I would be walking along previously walked roads so diverted off to pick up Crawford and Cranby Streets. Not the prettiest of roads with Crawford street particularly crappy.


A steady walk through Alum Rock took me to the boarded up Brookhill Tavern. This 1928 built, former Mitchells & Butler's pub was listed as a Grade II building in 2015.


Just past the Brookhill Tavern, is an impressive column erected to commemorate the philanthropic work of one Richard Sutton in building what would now be called Social Housing back in 1915. The houses were set out in tree-lined streets in contrast to the cramped housing in nearby Saltley and Alum Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment