I intend to walk every street in Birmingham. This will include every road (excluding Motorways and similar), canal towpath, public footpath and bridleway.

20 June 2016

Digbeth

Nothing too exciting, today.

I finished work around 5 and took a circuitous route through Digbeth, ending up on Bradford Street where I caught the bus out to Moseley to meet the wife from work.

Walking along Bromley Street, I spied this excellent piece of monochromatic graffiti...


From Bromely Street, I turned into Gibb Street. This short thoroughfare runs through the centre of the Custard Factory arts centre.


In one of the shops, I spotted this Birmingham wallpaper...


... a bargain at £60 a roll !


The Old Crown, Birmingham's oldest secular building (most of which was built around 1492 although some bits may be dated 1368) was passed before walking up back up Heath Mill Lane.

Glancing up, I was struck by the geometric balconies ...



Turning right onto Lower Trinity Street and into the heart of Graffiti Land.


Passing a car park entrance, I noticed this chap, brightening up a rather dull wall ...


More Spray Can artwork...



From Lower Trinity Street, I crossed Adderley Street and on to Upper Trinity Street, passing a reminder of Birmingham's past. This electricity sub-station was built in the early 1900's by the City of Birmingham.

At that time, electricity would have been generated locally, probably at the nearby Summer Lane Power Station. It was not until after the First World War that the National Grid was created, coming on-line towards the end of the 1930s.


No comments:

Post a Comment