I intend to walk every street in Birmingham. This will include every road (excluding Motorways and similar), canal towpath, public footpath and bridleway.

13 August 2016

Aston Villa 3 - Rotherham 0

Back to work today or more accurately, to night.

I decided to walk in to work and then catch the bus home in the morning.

From the M6 / A452 junction, I walked past Spitfire Island and continued up past The Tyburn House until I reached The Bagot Arms, where I turned left onto Tyburn Road. Strangely, The Tyburn Road doesn't go past the Tyburn House pub!

At the junction of Tyburn Road and Kingsbury Road (which DOES go past The Tyburn House), I chose the latter, heading towards the city centre.

Nearing Gravelly Hill, I skirted around to Brookvale Park. The park, which opened in 1909, utilised the lake, from which the park gets it's name, as an open air swimming pool. The swimming (officially) ended in 1926 but the park still has plenty to offer including a bowling green, tennis courts and children's play area.

I followed Park Road, which became North Park Road around the Brookvale estate, popping out on Brookvale Road, opposite Witton Cemetery.

I turned left, here, and proceeded towards Witton.

As I passed under the M6, I noticed that there were quite a few people moving towards me. As I approached the crowd, I noticed that most were clad in the claret and blue of Aston Villa. Then it dawned on me - The Villa had been playing at home.

I made my way upstream through the throng wondering what the final score was - none of them looked particularly happy!

After passing the queues at Witton railway station, the crown thinned with just a few stragglers milling around by the time I got to Villa Park.


From the stadium, I walked to Lichfield Road which I followed through Aston, before heading to Nechells and Duddeston Manor where I stopped to grab a bag of chips before a more leisurely stroll for the final mile to work.

After a shower and change of clothes, I checked the internet to discover that Aston Villa had beaten Rotherham 3-0. With a score like that, I'd have expected to see more smiles on the fan's faces. I'd hate to see them when they lose !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment