I intend to walk every street in Birmingham. This will include every road (excluding Motorways and similar), canal towpath, public footpath and bridleway.

12 August 2016

On the Cut

Another walk to Oldbury.


Started at the same point as yesterday but set off along Woodcock Street past what I remember as Woodcock Street Baths but is now called The Sir Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre. Many a Saturday morning was spent splashing around here, back in the day, in my mis-spent youth!

After a short diversion where I found love (Love Lane, that is), I was walking along the towpath of the canal heading for Gas Street Basin.





After passing under the telecom Tower and climbing a number of locks, I noticed another Monopoly location...




After a few more locks, I was facing the Sealife Centre , where I turned left for the Birmingham & Worcester Canal.

The canal was followed, paralleling the newer railway past Five Ways, University and Selly Oak stations.

I did spot THIS useful sign by the university...


Soon after sighting the Cadbury complex, I was to leave the canal and head off through the quaint village of Bournville to Northfield.


From Northfield, my route took me, initially down but then slowly up through Weoley Castle to reach the Birmingham / Warley border at Hagley Road.







No comments:

Post a Comment