I intend to walk every street in Birmingham. This will include every road (excluding Motorways and similar), canal towpath, public footpath and bridleway.

13 May 2016

Geeky Map Stuff

So far, every walk that I've done, I've tracked with my Garmin Forerunner 230 GPS watch. This is automatically saved to Endomondo on completion.

The resultant track (.GPX) is imported into Google My Maps where, although very messy, serves as a guide to where I've been.

On a fresh layer, I will trace the route and end up with a nice tidy line depicting my travels. I can then delete the original .GPX

The new track is moved to my main layer holding all my walks for the month.

I have another layer with a .KML file of the Birmingham Boundary.

I discovered today, that if I export the May 2016 layer as a .KLM into Garmin Base Camp, I can get a total of the distance walked.

Sorry if this is all a bit geeky but when I was planning this endeavour, this is the stuff I wanted to know - so it may be useful to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment