I intend to walk every street in Birmingham. This will include every road (excluding Motorways and similar), canal towpath, public footpath and bridleway.

7 May 2016

Walk Brum ?

What's all this about?

After catching an item on the BBC's Travel Programme about a guy who is walking EVERY street in New York (LINK), I was wondering if such a thing would be possible, albeit on a smaller scale, in Birmingham.

Such a walk would entail...

  • Walking every road / street in Birmingham (excluding Motorways)
  • Every canal towpath open to the public
  • Every public footpath and bridleway
The American chap, who's name is Matt has estimated that the Big Apple has over 6,000 miles of streets. I'm not sure how he's come to that figure but I wonder how many miles Birmingham possesses or even how to find out.

If I were to attempt such a thing, I'd like to be able to map my progress. Joining lots of GPX trails would be messes especially as some stretches could be walked many times. Looking at Matt's map, it all looks very tidy but I wonder how he's done it.

Getting around, apart from the actual walking, should be fairly straight-forward using public transport - bus, train, metro or even the car if needed.

If anyone has ANY ideas, I'd be eager to hear them.



No comments:

Post a Comment