I intend to walk every street in Birmingham. This will include every road (excluding Motorways and similar), canal towpath, public footpath and bridleway.

10 May 2016

Shard End

Gateway to Birmingham
On nights and was fast asleep until around 12 when the phone rang.

"Hello", I said, groggily.
"Hello, Our records indicate that you were involved in an acci..." I hung up

After half an hour, trying to drift back to the land of Nod, I gave up, got dressed and grabbed a bite to eat.

I decided to go for a walk and in doing so I might as well colour in a new bit of Birmingham. The area I chose was near to home - just a mile away.


An alleyway led from the B4114, Chester Road, crossing the Solihull / Birmingham boundary and depositing me in Shard End.

There was persistent precipitation but as I always say, "There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothes". Decked out in Goretex I was protected from the elements as I weaved my way around Shard End.

A Lot of Allotments

In a section of new houses I spotted this particularly dangerous wall topped with broken glass. I haven't seen anything like this for many a year - isn't this illegal?
Dodgy Wall
After a few miles, I walked past the Kitsland Road shops, comprising of a Spar, Trevor the Barber and not much else. Many years ago, when I was living in nearby Kingshurst, there used to be an excellent off-licence here serving all manner of fine ales.

Short Back and Sides
I made a short excursion to Packington Road and the Mother of God and Guardian Angels church before doing a 180 to walk the bits that I'd missed.


On Silver Birch Road, I walked as far as the Solihull boundary before about turning, staying in Birmingham.

Welcome
Around Home Way, I was surprised to find two, eight foot tall, stone griffins. Apparently, there are 4 more in the area. Rumour has it that the Tsar of Russia gave the griffins to the city of Birmingham, back in the 1890's. They used to perch on the roof of the 'old' Lewis's building before that was demolished for the 'new' store in 1923.

The griffins were moved to flank the entrance to the Yorkswood Scout Camp and when that closed in 1972 to make way for the current housing estate, the griffins stayed put.

Guardian Griffins

Griffin
Further into my travels, I spied this house owned by someone who would rather be living in a much older dwelling.

Urban Country-style

Not all of the houses are as well looked after...

Needs a bit of TLC
Towards the end of my excursion to Shard End, I passed a ship. Well, technically, a training ship - TS Stirling set on the banks of Shard End Lake.

Ship Ahoy
By the time I got home, I had clocked up 10 miles. 2 miles can be deducted for getting to and from the boundary but that still leaves a walk of 8 miles to cover such a small area of housing estate.

No comments:

Post a Comment