I intend to walk every street in Birmingham. This will include every road (excluding Motorways and similar), canal towpath, public footpath and bridleway.

19 May 2016

Walking Home from Work

As I may have mentioned in an earlier blog, I started a new job on Monday and having tools and other stuff to take into work and get sorted, I have had to use the car.

Today was the first day that I was able to go car-less and enjoy a walk home.

I cadged a lift to work this morning with my good lady wife and after a hard day's graft (stop sniggering at the back) I left work and headed straight for the canal heading towards Saltley.


After less than a mile, I left the canal at Landor Street which soon became Arden Road.


Just past what was once The Arden Stores, I deviated off to walk a small cup-de-sac called Lancelot Close, comprising of around a dozen houses. One of the residents watched as I walked to the end of the road, turn around and walk back. 
"I know what you're doing!" he said.
"I doubt it", thought I.
"You're doing your steps", he guessed.
"Not quite", and I explained what I was really doing.
He was quite impressed and thought it was a good idea - makes a change from the usual "Why?"


After a few more, residential, streets I was on the busy Alum Rock Road. A short walk along this cosmopolitan highway bought me to the amusingly named 'Curry Up!" takeaway.

Forking off from the main road, Cotterills Lane took me to the A4040, Bromford Lane. 


I left the streets here and followed the Cole Valley Cycle and Walkway for a mile or so to Packington Lane where I rejoined the road system to make my way though a bit of Shard End before crossing the Solihull border at Bradford Road.


Another mile or so, in Solihull, and I was home.

Another 8 miles walked with 6.8 of them in Birmingham.



No comments:

Post a Comment