I intend to walk every street in Birmingham. This will include every road (excluding Motorways and similar), canal towpath, public footpath and bridleway.

12 May 2016

Sheldon

No - Not THAT Sheldon !

Today, en-route to my last day at my current job, I stopped off in the Birmingham district of Sheldon.

Sheldon is on the eastern border of Brum, next to Solihull and Birmingham Airport. Today's area is mainly housing with a small shopping centre at The Radleys.

After parking the car, I started the, what is becoming familiar, zig-zagging of the streets. With this sort of street layout, some sections just have to be walked more than once.

A mile into the sortie I was walking up the short Wakeman Grove. Isn't it amazing that the council named a road after that Prog Rock God that is Rick Wakeman?



A little further on and the road narrowed to a path which leads across Sheldon Country Park, past the end of runway 1-5, to Marston Green. I turned around and continued along Elmstead Avenue passing an obviously hand made 'No Parking" sign.


Turning left onto Chaffcombe Road, I was greeted by a very orange house. Quite trendy for your traditional semi.


Chaffcombe Road turned into Rosecroft Road then ended at Church Road - the church in this case being St. Giles. This grade II listed building was mostly built in the 14th century and restored in 1867.

Just past St. Giles, Ragley Drive leads to Sheldon Country Park, a popular free attraction and one of the few places in Birmingham where you can see sheep !


As well as the usual farm animals, there is a small herd of Jersey cows.

Back on Church Road, I returned the way I had come but continued up the hill to what is commonly known as The Radleys Shops clustered around the roundabout.


After negotiating the pelican crossings, it was back to zigging and zagging to end up back at the car.


Another small area coloured in and 5 miles worth of shoe leather used, as I stated earlier, a lot of the route has to be re-walked.





No comments:

Post a Comment